Please refer also to the specific client information on the pages about the TID screening pilot and the medico-legal reports service.

How do I get a referral?

  • For a medico-legal report you must be referred by a legal representative
  • The screening assessment service is not currently open to referrals and is located in limited areas
  • We will keep this page updated as our services grow

Resources and written information

Here are some leaflets with information about looking after yourself, managing your stress and where you can get help

Feedback and helping TID

If you have seen TID for a report and have any feedback for us please contact us at

If you have permission to stay and work in the UK and are interested in helping TortureID develop its services so they take into account the refugee experience, please email

Things that can help 

Many people seeking asylum feel very stressed. You may feel angry, upset, anxious, ashamed, sad, confused or disturbed by memories. It can be hard to sleep, and hard to feel calm after you have talked about your situation. If you live through painful experiences it is normal to be affected like this. Most people can feel better in time.

Here are some simple things that can help. If you are feeling bad, you may not feel like doing them, but they are still important for your wellbeing.

These things will help most if you keep doing them.

R (2)

Look after your body

Eat and drink water regularly, even if you do not feel you want to. Keep active. See a doctor if you are concerned about your health.


Sleep well

You may find sleep very difficult but it can help a lot to learn good sleep habits. Some habits that help are: getting up at the same time every day; avoiding sleeping in the day time; avoiding caffeine. There is more information here.

Walking man. Vector icon.

Stay physically active

Going for a walk, doing other kinds of exercise, and being outside in nature can really help. Try to do some kind of exercise every day.

R (1)

Talk to someone

about how you feel. Find someone you trust to confide in. This might be a friend, a health professional, or someone at a local support group. See below for more.


Connect with other people

Try to spend time with other people when you can, perhaps watching TV, eating or going out together.


Learn calming exercises

such as breathing exercises, relaxation, mindfulness exercises or butterfly hugs. Many people find these useful. You could try the breathing exercise below. Or you could try another exercise you already know. You can find other exercises on YouTube or you could use the mindfulness app Headspace.


Distract yourself

from thinking too much. Spending time with friends and being active can help take your mind off memories and worries.


Find support

Get to know at least one refugee organisation that can help you .

A breathing exercise

  1. Find a comfortable position
  2. Breathe in through your nose while you count steadily from 1 to 5. Let your breath flow into your belly. Don’t worry if you can’t get to 5 at first.
  3. Now breathe out through your mouth while you count from 1 to 5.
  4. Keep doing this for at least three minutes.

Talking about how you feel

It can help to talk to someone you like and trust, for example a friend, relative, foster carer or someone else supporting you. 

Sharing your worries with someone can be hard but it also often helps. 

If you don’t feel you can speak to anyone you know, there are services that can help. Your GP will know what is available in your local area. If you are in touch with a refugee support group, they may also be able to help. If you are a young person there are safe online forums like The Mix and Young Minds Crisis Messenger where you can text to ask for help.

You can also speak to your GP about how you are feeling. This can be hard, but your GP will be used to hearing from people who are very distressed. 


Services that can help

(These are free of charge)

• Your GP will know what is available in your local area.

• Samaritans Phone 116 123 to speak to a trained volunteer. You can ask for an interpreter.

• Boloh helpline Phone 0800 151 2605 for free online advice, emotional support and therapeutic support. Advisers and therapists speak a range of different languages and have access to interpreters. For more information or to use webchat – Boloh Helplines (

• Solace can offer support to those living in the Yorkshire and Humber region. Solace (


Additional services for young people

(These are free of charge)

• Young Minds Text YM to 85258. A trained volunteer will text you back 

• Childline Try the ‘Get support’ tab. Or phone 0800 1111

• The Mix Try the ‘Get support’ tab. Or phone 0808 808 4994

If you feel really bad

If you feel really unhappy or agitated, are experiencing very disturbed sleep or many more nightmares, then it is especially important to ask for help. 

If you are thinking about dying, do not keep these thoughts secret. 

In an emergency,  you or someone helping you, can ring your GP or ring 111 for advice on getting help urgently.  

If you can’t get help anywhere else, you can go to the Accident and Emergency department of the hospital.